Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Arizona, Diocese of 

On Oct. 19, 1859, the House of Bishops created the Missionary District of the Southwest, which included Arizona. On Oct. 21, 1865, it created the Missionary Bishopric of Nevada with jurisdiction in Arizona. The Missionary Bishopric of New Mexico and Arizona was created by the House of Bishops on Nov. 2, 1874. On Oct. 13, 1892, the House of Bishops formed the Missionary District of Arizona. It had the same bishops as New Mexico until 1911. On Mar. 5 in that same year, Trinity Church, Phoenix, became Trinity Pro-Cathedral. The primary Convention of the Diocese of Arizona was held at Grace Church, Tucson, Feb. 4-5, 1959. On Oct. 28, 1988, Trinity Pro-Cathedral, Phoenix, became Trinity Cathedral. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top