Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Chicago, Diocese of 

The primary convention of the Diocese of Illinois met at the "Episcopal Hall of Worship" in Peoria, Mar. 9, 1835. The General Convention of 1877 voted to divide the Diocese of Illinois into three dioceses-Illinois, Quincy, and Springfield. The name was changed to the Diocese of Chicago on May 28, 1884. On Mar. 4, 1861, the Church of the Atonement, Chicago, became the Cathedral Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. It was destroyed by fire on Mar. 6, 1921. On Dec. 2, 1928, St. James' Church, Chicago, was designated as the Cathedral, but this arrangement was terminated in 1931. St. James' Church, Chicago, was again designated the Cathedral on May 3, 1955, and was formally set apart on June 4, 1955. The Diocese of Chicago consists of the following counties: Boone, Carroll, Cook, DeKalb, Dupage, Ford, Grundy, Iroquois, Jo Daviess, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Lake, LaSalle, Lee, Livingston, Marshall, McHenry, Ogle, Putnam, Stephenson, Whiteside, Will, and Winnebago. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top