Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
China, Missionary District of 

The General Convention of 1844 elected William Jones Boone the Missionary Bishop of China. He was consecrated on Oct. 26, 1844. The 1874 General Convention changed the name to "Missionary Bishop of Shanghai, with jurisdiction in China." The General Convention of 1901 voted to divide China into the Missionary District of Shanghai and the Missionary District of Hankow. On Oct. 11, 1910, the Missionary District of Hankow was divided and the Missionary District of Wuhu was created. Wuhu was changed to Anting in 1913. In 1949 the three American Districts of Anting, Hankow and Shanghai became part of the Holy Catholic Church in China. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top