Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Colorado, Diocese of 

The state of Colorado was part of the Missionary District of the Northwest from Oct. 19, 1859, until Oct. 21, 1865, when the House of Bishops established the Missionary District of Colorado and Parts Adjacent with jurisdiction in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. On Oct. 4, 1866, the House of Bishops changed the Missionary District of Colorado and Parts Adjacent to include Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming. Montana and Idaho were detached from Colorado. On Oct. 30, 1874, it was changed by the House of Bishops to the Missionary District of Colorado with jurisdiction in Wyoming. New Mexico was detached from Colorado. The Missionary District of Colorado was established by the House of Bishops on Oct. 15, 1883, when Wyoming was made a separate missionary district. The primary council of the Diocese of Colorado was held at St. John's Cathedral, Denver, June 9-10, 1887. On June 28, 1880, St. John's Church, Denver, was set apart as St. John's Cathedral, and the building was consecrated on June 11, 1925. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top