Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Indianapolis, Diocese of 

Jackson Kemper was consecrated the Missionary Bishop of Indiana and Missouri on Sept. 25, 1835. On Aug. 24-27, 1838, the Diocese of Indiana was organized at Christ Church, Madison, Indiana. The General Convention of 1898 voted to divide the diocese. On Sept. 1, 1902, the name was changed to the Diocese of Indianapolis. The Diocese of Indianapolis consists of the following counties: Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Decatur, Delaware, Dubois, Fayette, Floyd, Fountain, Franklin, Gibson, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Harrison, Hendricks, Henry, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Martin, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Ohio, Orange, Owen, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Randolph, Ripley, Rush, Scott, Shelby, Spencer, Sullivan, Switzerland, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Union, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, Warren, Warrick, Washington, and Wayne. On Oct. 10, 1954, Christ Church, Indianapolis, became Christ Church Cathedral. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top