Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Lexington, Diocese of 

The General Convention of 1895 voted to divide the Diocese of Kentucky to create a new diocese in the eastern half of the state. The Diocese of Lexington held its primary convention at Christ Church, Lexington, Dec. 4-5, 1895. Christ Church, Lexington, was dedicated as Christ Church Cathedral on Mar. 21, 1897 but was disestablished in 1933. On Apr. 28, 1963, the Cathedral Church of St. George the Martyr, the Cathedral Domain, Crystal, was consecrated. On Nov. 26, 1989, Christ Church, Lexington, was again consecrated as Christ Church Cathedral. The diocese has two cathedrals. The Diocese of Lexington includes the following counties: Anderson, Bath, Bell, Boone, Boyle, Bracken, Breathitt, Campbell, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Elliott, Estill, Fayette, Fleming, Floyd, Franklin, Gallatin, Garrard, Grant, Greenup, Harlan, Harrison, Jackson, Jessamine, Johnson, Kenton, Knott, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Mason, McCreary, Menifee, Mercer, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owen, Owsley, Pendleton, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Scott, Wayne, Whitley, Wolfe, and Woodford. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top