Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Milwaukee, Diocese of 

The clergy in the territory of Wisconsin requested on Apr. 30, 1836, that Wisconsin be put under the jurisdiction of Missionary Bishop Jackson Kemper. The House of Bishops granted this request on Sept. 12, 1838. The Diocese of Wisconsin was organized at St. Paul's Church, Milwaukee, on June 24-25, 1847. On Oct. 8, 1859, Bishop Kemper resigned his missionary jurisdiction and became the first Bishop of Wisconsin. On Oct. 27, 1874, the General Convention divided the Diocese of Wisconsin and established the Diocese of Fond du Lac. On June 16, 1886, the Diocese of Wisconsin was changed to the Diocese of Milwaukee. The 1928 General Convention voted to create the Diocese of Eau Claire from the dioceses of Fond du Lac and Milwaukee. The Diocese of Milwaukee includes the following counties: Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Grant, Green, Iowa, Jefferson, Kenosha, Lafayette, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Richland, Rock, Sauk, Walworth, Washington, and Waukesha. In June 1867 Bishop William Armitage established All Saints' Church, Milwaukee, as the pro-cathedral of Wisconsin. On June 1, 1873, All Saints' Cathedral formally opened. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top