Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Montana, Diocese of 

On Oct. 15, 1880, the House of Bishops established the Missionary District of Montana. It has had its own bishop from that time to the present. It was preceded by two larger jurisdictions. On Oct. 19, 1865, the House of Bishops resolved "That all those portions of our country, North of a line running along the Northern boundary of the Cherokee country and New Mexico, until it reaches the Diocese of California, not yet organized into Dioceses, or included within Missionary districts, be within the jurisdiction of the Missionary Bishop of the North West." This included the present state of Montana. Two days later they created the Missionary District of Colorado and Parts Adjacent, with jurisdiction in Montana. On Oct. 4, 1866, the House of Bishops established the Missionary District of Montana, Idaho, and Utah. The primary convention of the Diocese of Montana was held at St. Mark's Church, Anaconda, on June 19-22, 1904. On Dec. 13, 1971, St. Peter's Church, Helena, became St. Peter's Cathedral. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top