Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Northern Indiana, Diocese of 

The 1898 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Indiana. The new diocese included the following counties: Adams, Allen, Benton, Blackford, Carroll, Cass, DeKalb, Elkhart, Fulton, Grant, Howard, Huntington, Jasper, Jay, Kosciusko, LaGrange, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Miami, Newton, Noble, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, White, and Whitby. The primary convention of the new diocese met at Trinity Cathedral, Michigan City, Apr. 25-26, 1899. It chose the name Diocese of Michigan City. On Apr. 25, 1899, Trinity Church, Michigan City, became Trinity Cathedral. It ceased to be the cathedral on Nov. 4, 1917. On May 20, 1919, the name was changed to the Diocese of Northern Indiana. On Jan. 30, 1957, St. James Church, South Bend, became St. James Cathedral. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top