Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Oregon, Diocese of 

On Oct. 13, 1853, the General Convention created the Missionary District of Oregon and Washington Territory. On Oct. 15, 1880, the General Convention divided it into the Missionary District of Washington and the Missionary District of Oregon. The primary convention of the Diocese of Oregon met at Trinity Church, Portland, Sept. 11-13, 1889. The General Convention of 1907 divided the Diocese of Oregon and created the Missionary District of Eastern Oregon. The Diocese of Oregon includes the following counties: Benton, Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Tillamook, Washington, and Yamhill. On Jan. 23, 1929, the Diocesan Convention set apart St. Stephen's Church, Portland, as St. Stephen's Cathedral. On Nov. 10, 1973, St. Stephen's Cathedral became St. Stephen's Church. On that same day St. John the Baptist Church, Portland, became the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top