Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Rio Grande, Diocese of 

The 1892 General Convention established the Missionary District of New Mexico. The 1895 General Convention voted to take the counties of El Paso, Reeves, Culberson, Jeff Davis, Presidio, Brewster, Terrell, Hudspeth, and Pecos from the Missionary District of Western Texas and add them to the Missionary District of New Mexico. On Feb. 6, 1923, the name was changed to the Missionary District of New Mexico and Southwest Texas. In 1927 St. John's Church, Albuquerque, was made St. John's Cathedral. A new building was constructed and dedicated on Nov. 11, 1952, and consecrated on Apr. 23, 1963. The primary convention of the diocese was held at St. Andrew's Church, Roswell, New Mexico, Feb. 10-12, 1953. On Apr. 28, 1973, the name was changed to the Diocese of the Rio Grande. On Nov. 26, 1978, St. Clement's Church, El Paso, became the Pro-Cathedral Church of St. Clement. The diocese has a cathedral and a pro-cathedral. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top