Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Shanghai, Missionary District of 

William Jones Boone was consecrated the first Missionary Bishop of China on Oct. 26, 1844. The 1874 General Convention changed the title from China to the "Missionary Bishop of Shanghai, having Episcopal jurisdiction in China." The 1901 General Convention divided China into the Missionary Districts of Shanghai and Hankow. On Apr. 26, 1912, the Chung Hua Sheng Kung Hui, the Holy Catholic Church in China, was formed by the merger of American, Canadian and English missionary districts. In 1949 it became the Diocese of Kiangsu in the Holy Catholic Church in China. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top