Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
South Florida, Diocese of 

The 1892 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of Florida. The Missionary Jurisdiction of Southern Florida included all the counties in Florida south of the counties of Leon, Alachua, Putman and St. John's. The first convocation of the Missionary District was held Feb. 21-22, 1893, at the Church of the Holy Cross, Sanford. On Mar. 31, 1902, St. Luke's Church, Orlando, was designated the Cathedral Church of St. Luke. The first convention of the Diocese of South Florida was held Jan. 16-18, 1923, at St. Luke's Cathedral, Orlando. The name was also changed to the Diocese of South Florida at this convention. The 1969 General Convention voted to divide the Diocese of South Florida into three dioceses, which are now the dioceses of Central Florida, Southeast Florida, and Southwest Florida. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top