Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Virgin Islands, Diocese of 

The Virgin Islands became a part of the Missionary District of Puerto Rico in 1919. The House of Bishops established the Missionary District of the Virgin Islands in 1947, but it was still under the care of the Missionary Bishop of Puerto Rico. The first Missionary Bishop of the Virgin Islands, Cedric Earl Mills, was consecrated on Apr. 9, 1963. On Jan. 1, 1971, it became the Missionary Diocese of the Virgin Islands, and in 1985 it became the Diocese of the Virgin Islands. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top