Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Wisconsin, Diocese of 

In 1836 Wisconsin was organized as a Missionary territory under the jurisdiction of Bishop Samuel A. McCroskey of Michigan. On Sept. 12, 1838, the House of Bishops voted to give jurisdiction over Wisconsin to Jackson Kemper, Missionary Bishop of Indiana and Missouri. On June 24-25, 1847, the Diocese of Wisconsin was organized at St. Paul's Church, Milwaukee. Bishop Kemper resigned his missionary jurisdiction on Oct. 8, 1859, to become the first Bishop of Wisconsin. The 1874 General Convention divided the Diocese of Wisconsin and created the Diocese of Fond du Lac. On June 16, 1886, the Diocese of Wisconsin was changed to the Diocese of Milwaukee. In 1928 the General Convention created a new diocese, the Diocese of Eau Claire, from the dioceses of Milwaukee and Fond du Lac. The state of Wisconsin now includes the dioceses of Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, and Eau Claire. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top