Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Bexley Hall 

It was founded on Nov. 4, 1824, by Bishop Philander Chase and the Diocese of Ohio as "The Theological Seminary of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Ohio." It was incorporated by the Ohio State Assembly on Dec. 29, 1824, and opened at Worthington. In 1828 it moved to Gambier as Kenyon College and Bexley Hall Theological Seminary, named in honor of Lord Bexley (Nicholas Vansittart, 1766-1851), a benefactor. On July 1, 1968, Bexley Hall was separated from Kenyon College and moved to Rochester, New York. It is part of Colgate Rochester Divinity School/Bexley Hall/Crozer Theological Seminary and St. Bernard's Institute. See Chase, Philander; see Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top