Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Bristol College, Bristol, Pennsylvania 

In 1825 the Rev. Drs. Gregory Townsend Bedell, James Milnor, and Stephen Higginson Tyng founded the Episcopal Education Society of Philadelphia. They began a manual labor college for prospective ministers near Wilmington, Delaware. It moved to Bristol, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, and reopened as Bristol College on Oct. 2, 1833. It promoted the idea of "uniting manual labor with mental improvement." The Rev. Chauncey Colton (d. 1876) was its only president. It closed in Feb. 1837 for lack of financial support. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top