Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Colorado School of Mines 

The Rt. Rev. George Maxwell Randall (1810-1873), the first Bishop of Colorado, received a gift of $5,000 in 1868 from a Brooklyn, New York, merchant, George A. Jarvis, to establish a school. With this gift plus ten acres of land in Golden, Colorado, he laid the cornerstone of Jarvis Hall, on Aug. 25, 1869. It was named for the Rt. Rev. Abraham Jarvis, the second Bishop of Connecticut. This was to be a School of Mines, and the school was known as Jarvis Hall. On Nov. 17, 1869, a storm destroyed Jarvis Hall. On Oct. 19, 1870, Jarvis Hall reopened. On Feb. 9, 1874, the School of Mines was deeded to the Territory of Colorado. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top