Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
De Veaux College 

Judge Samuel De Veaux (De Voe) (1789-1852) left a bequest of all his residuary estate for the foundation of "a benevolent institution under the supervision of the Convention" of the Diocese of Western New York. Under the provisions of this will De Veaux College was founded in Niagara Falls, New York. It was incorporated on Apr. 15, 1853. Bishop William Heathcote DeLancey (1797-1865) of Western New York was chairman of the board of trustees. The school opened on May 20, 1857, with thirty pupils. It had a domain of 300 acres. Four Episcopal priests were presidents of the school. Gradually the college curriculum was dropped and the president was listed as headmaster. The preparatory school closed in 1973. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top