Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest (ETSS) 

The idea for a seminary in Austin, Texas, was initiated in 1945. The Rt. Rev. Clinton S. Quinn, Bishop of Texas, approached the Board of Trustees of the Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary about training Episcopal students at the Presbyterian seminary in a cooperative program. Nothing came of this first effort. However, in 1951 three Episcopal students enrolled at the Austin Presbyterian Seminary, under the leadership of the Rt. Rev. John E. Hines, Bishop Coadjutor of Texas. They were taught at an off-campus location by an Episcopal faculty. The diocesan council of the Diocese of Texas approved the school in Jan. 1952. Five acres of land, located near the University of Texas and the Austin Presbyterian Seminary, were given to the school. In Jan. 1954, ground was broken for the new campus. The Lutheran Seminary Program in the Southwest is located on the ETSS campus. The school has a program of Theological Studies for Hispanic Ministry and Intercultural Understanding. The Archives of the Episcopal Church are located in the ETSS Library. ETSS publishes Ratherview. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top