Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Fairfield Academy 

This school was opened in 1803 by the Rev. Caleb Alexander, a Presbyterian minister. In 1813 an Episcopalian, the Rev. Bethel Judd, became the Principal. Trinity Church, New York City, gave it a grant of $750 provided it should give free tuition to four divinity students of the Episcopal Church. As a result it was sometimes called a "Divinity School." When the third Episcopal principal, the Rev. Daniel McDonald, left in 1821 to become principal of the Geneva Academy, Trinity Church transferred its patronage to the Geneva Academy, and Fairfield Academy ceased to be an Episcopal institution. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top