Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Fort Valley College, Georgia 

Predecessor to Fort Valley State College. The Fort Valley High and Industrial School at Fort Valley, Georgia, was chartered in 1895. Under its second principal, Henry A. Hunt (d. 1938), the trustees voted on Nov. 11, 1918, to place the school under the auspices of the Diocese of Atlanta, with the Bishop of Atlanta as chairman of the board of trustees. In 1919 the school affiliated with the American Church Institute for Negroes of the Episcopal Church. The Diocese of Georgia joined the Diocese of Atlanta in 1928 in partial support of the school. Affiliation with the American Church Institute was discontinued in 1939 when the school passed from church to state control. On July 1, 1939, the State Teachers and Agricultural College at Forsyth, Georgia, merged with the Fort Valley High and Industrial School to create Fort Valley State College. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top