Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Hobart College, Geneva, New York 

Hobart College, first called Geneva College, grew out of the Geneva Academy which was in operation prior to 1800. The Rt. Rev. John Henry Hobart, third Bishop of New York, was the primary founder. A provisional charter was granted on Apr. 10, 1822, and the school's existence dates from that year. On Aug. 5, 1822, ten students began their studies in Geneva Hall. The first commencement was on Aug. 1, 1826. A medical college opened in 1835. On Jan. 23, 1849, Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910) graduated from the medical college, the first woman in the United States to receive the Doctor of Medicine degree. In 1882 the name was changed to Hobart College. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top