Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Jubilee College 

No longer in existence, this college near Peoria was founded in 1839 by Philander Chase, the first Bishop of Illinois. The cornerstone of the chapel and schoolhouse was laid on Apr. 3, 1839, and the school opened in 1840. The charter of Jan. 22, 1847, stated that the institution was to consist of a theological department, the college proper, a classical preparatory school, and a female seminary. The first commencement was held on July 7, 1847. The school was continued by a distant relative, Samuel Chase (d. 1878). After Bishop Chase's death, the school closed in 1862 because of indebtedness. In 1933 the property was given to the State of Illinois for a park. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top