Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
King's College, New York City 

On Oct. 31, 1754, King George II of England granted the charter for King's College. On Nov. 22, 1753, the trustees invited the Rev. Samuel Johnson, rector of Stratford Parish in Connecticut, to be president. On July 17, 1754, Johnson began instruction in the vestry room of the schoolhouse of Trinity Church, New York City. On May 13, 1755, the corporation of Trinity Church conveyed to the trustees of the college a piece of land with the express condition that the president of the College be a member and communicant of the Church of England, and that the Prayer Book services of Morning and Evening Prayer be used for worship in the college. The first commencement was held on June 21, 1758. Several Episcopal clergy were presidents of the college. On May 1, 1784, the name was changed to Columbia College. In 1896 it was changed to Columbia University of the City of New York. Columbia no longer has any connection with the Episcopal Church. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top