Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Roanridge Training Conference Center 

Wilbur Cochel, a deputy from West Missouri to the 1940 General Convention, believed that a good rural priest needed to know about farming. In 1942 he and his wife offered their 320-acre demonstration farm, twenty miles north of Kansas City, to the Episcopal Church. It was called Roanridge Farm because of the mixed red and white cattle known as Shorthorns. Later the Roanridge Rural Training Foundation was established. Roanridge was for years the location of the Town and Country Institute. In 1969 the site was named the Roanridge Conference Center. The Rev. Dr. H. Boone Porter became the director in 1970. Later Roanridge was the Leadership Academy for New Directions (LAND). Roanridge closed on Feb. 28, 1977. The property was sold and the endowment used to support the continuation of LAND, also known as New Directions Ministries, as well as St. Luke's Hospital and Grace Cathedral, both in Kansas City. Roanridge's major contribution was the training of people for town and country ministries. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top