Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
St Mary's College, Dallas, Texas 

The Rt. Rev. Alexander Charles Garrett, the first Bishop of Dallas, founded this school for women. A cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1876, but classes did not begin until Sept. 10, 1889. By 1900 the school offered a four-year program leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree. With the exception of Bishop Garrett, the faculty was female. The school closed in June 1930. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top