Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Shattuck-St 

Mary's School, Faribault, Minnesota. Shattuck-St. Mary's School is a coeducational Episcopal boarding school for grades six through twelve. It was founded in 1858 by the Rev. James Lloyd Breck, who organized the school in conjunction with the formation of the Diocese of Minnesota. He created it as a mission for children of Native Americans and white settlers in the area. It included both a primary and a secondary school and a seminary. Breck's creation eventually developed into four related but separate institutions: Shattuck Grammar School, a boys' high school named after benefactor George Shattuck of Boston; St. Mary's Hall, which Henry Whipple, Bishop of Minnesota, opened in 1866 for the daughters of Episcopal clergy; St. James School, which Shattuck's headmaster James Dobbins founded in 1901 for grade-school boys; and Seabury Divinity School. Seabury moved in 1933 and merged with Western Theological Seminary in Chicago to become Seabury-Western Theological Seminary. The three other schools joined in 1972 and became a single institution. Shattuck-St. Mary's School is now the oldest school of its kind west of the Alleghenies. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top