Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Shimer College 

A school that was once an Episcopal college, located in Waukegan, Illinois. It was established in 1853 by Frances Ann Wood Shimer. Under the influence of William Rainey Harper, first president of the University of Chicago, it became a Baptist institution known as the Frances Shimer Academy of the University of Chicago. In 1957 the board of trustees severed the relationship with the Baptists, and on June 30, 1959, the dioceses of Chicago, Eau Claire, Fond du Lac, Indianapolis, Iowa, Milwaukee, Quincy, and Northern Indiana recognized it as an Episcopal college. It became a member of the Association of Episcopal Colleges, but the relationship with the Episcopal Church ended in 1973. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top