Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Windham House, New York City 

National graduate training center for women workers in the Episcopal Church. It was purchased by the Woman's Auxiliary as a memorial to Bishop Daniel S. Tuttle. The house was named for Windham, New York, which was Tuttle's birthplace. It opened in 1928. It served as a residential center for furloughed missionaries or women who were training for church work at Columbia University, Teachers' College, Union Theological Seminary, or the New York School of Social Work. The house offered regular worship and special courses, often taught by General Theological Seminary faculty. By 1945 the program had evolved into a two-year training course which included supervised field education. Most Windham House residents enrolled in the Masters of Religious Education program at Union Theological Seminary when that program began in 1954. There was a declining enrollment at Windham House after Episcopal seminaries were opened to women in the 1960s. United Thank Offering support also decreased at this time. Windham House closed on June 30, 1967. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top