Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
St Ann's Church for the Deaf 

The idea of a church for the deaf came to the Rev. Thomas Gallaudet while he was ministering to a deaf teenager who was a student at the New York School for the Deaf, New York City. Gallaudet, with the support of the Bishop of New York, established St. Ann's Church for the Deaf. The first service performed in sign language was held on Oct. 3, 1852. Gallaudet was its vicar, and he was its rector from Oct. 1, 1858, until his retirement in 1892. St. Ann's Church was incorporated on Sept. 11, 1854, and received into union with the Diocese of New York on Oct. 28, 1854. It is the mother church for hearing impaired Episcopalians in the United States. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top