Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
St Michael's Church, Charleston, South Carolina 

Historic seat of St. Michael's parish. By an act of the South Carolina General Assembly on June 14, 1751, the parish of St. Philip's was divided and the parish of St. Michael established. Construction of the building took about a decade. The building is an important example of colonial architecture and is largely unchanged after revolution, civil war, fire, earthquake, hurricanes, and tornadoes. Three Bishops of South Carolina have served as rectors. A long-time assistant minister was Frederick Dalcho, the diocesan historian. Members of the church included Thomas Lynch and Thomas Heyward, Jr., who were signers of the Declaration of Independence. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top