Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
St Thomas Church, New York 

This parish was organized on Dec. 25, 1823. The first church building was constructed in 1824-1825, at the corner of Broadway and Houston Street. The present building, erected in 1868-1870, and designed by Richard Upjohn, is at the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 53rd Street. The cornerstone of this building was laid on Oct. 14, 1868. The first worship service was on Oct. 6, 1870. The building was consecrated on May 15, 1883. Upjohn considered this building his masterpiece. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top