Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Trinity Church, New Orleans 

In Apr. 1835 the Rev. James Angell Fox established an Episcopal congregation in New Orleans with the name Trinity Church. It was the second Episcopal church in New Orleans. It was dissolved when Fox returned to Mississippi. On July 8, 1847, Trinity Church was incorporated, and on May 3, 1848, it was admitted into union with the Diocese of Louisiana. Bishop Leonidas Polk of Louisiana was rector of Trinity Church from 1855 until 1860. Six of Trinity's rectors have become bishops and it has the nickname the "Bishops' Church." The Rev. John Stone Jenkins was the rector from 1971 until 1984. While he was at Trinity he developed a program for lay theological education, Disciples of Christ ("DOC"). This program is now known as Disciples of Christ in Community ("DOCC"), and used in a variety of Episcopal parishes. Training and administration for the program is based at the School of Theology, University of the South. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top