Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Episcopal Recorder, The 

This weekly publication was a leading periodical standing for low church evangelical principles. It began publication on June 22, 1822, in Philadelphia, under the name The Church Record. With the Apr. 5, 1823, issue the name was changed to The Philadelphia Recorder. On Apr. 2, 1831, the name was changed to The Episcopal Recorder. It absorbed The Washington Theological Repertory in Dec. 1830, and The Western Episcopalian in Sept. 1859. It continued publication until Dec. 1919. An editorial in the May 6, 1865, issue demanded that some of the leading bishops and clergy of the South be hanged by the government on the grounds that they had been leaders in the original movement for secession. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top