Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Living Church, The 

A weekly magazine dedicated to serving the Episcopal Church, The Living Church was founded in 1878 and published in Chicago under the editorship of the Rev. Charles W. Leffingwell. It soon achieved nationwide readership. Leffingwell established the policy still followed of providing honest news and articles on church-related topics for the entire Episcopal Church, while giving editorial support to catholic Anglican principles. In 1899 the magazine was acquired by the Young Churchman Co., the Morehouse publishing enterprise in Milwaukee. Frederic C. Morehouse, editor 1890-1932, and his son, Clifford P. Morehouse, editor 1932-1952, were widely known and respected Anglo-Catholic lay leaders. The business ultimately moved to New York, leaving the magazine in Milwaukee. In 1952 it became an independent publication owned by a small non-profit foundation, with Peter Day as editor. See Day, Peter Morton; see Porter, Harry Boone. 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top