Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Sewanee Theological Review 

This periodical began publication on St. Luke's Day, Oct. 18, 1957, as the St. Luke's Journal of Theology. It was founded by the Very Rev. George M. Alexander, dean of the School of Theology at the University of the South, for the continuing education of clergy. It was edited by students in the School of Theology from its founding until Sept. 1976, when Dr. John M. Gessell became the first faculty editor. Gessell retired as editor in Dec. 1990 and several changes were made in the journal. On Feb. 19, 1991, the Board of Regents of the University approved changing the name to the Sewanee Theological Review, giving it symmetry in name with the University's Sewanee Review. A new editor took over on Jan. 1, 1991, a thematic approach was adopted, complimentary subscriptions were reduced, and the purpose of the journal was changed to read "Anglican journal of theological reflection." 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top