Mission Center: The Episcopal Church: Community

‹‹ Return
Plainsong 

Gregorian Chant was taken to England by Augustine in 597. Augustine's party were singing plainsong as they first approached King Ethelbert in the Isle of Thanet. The court of Ethelbert and the See of Augustine at Canterbury soon became a center for Gregorian plainsong. Charlemagne (c. 742-814) had a strong influence on the development of plainsong during the late eighth and early ninth centuries. He invited singers from Rome to his court at Aix-la-Chapelle, and he founded a school of song. The earliest manuscripts of plainsong and treatises on plainsong date from the ninth century. Around the year 1000 there began a period of decline for plainsong which continued into the sixteenth, seventeenth, and eighteenth centuries. Renewed interest in liturgy and the monastic life in the Roman Catholic Church during the nineteenth century was accompanied by a revival of plainsong. The Benedictine Abbey of Solesmes in France was a center for study of plainsong and the editing of choral books. Much of this work took place under the leadership of Dom Joseph Pothier (1835-1923). 




Glossary definitions provided courtesy of Church Publishing Incorporated, New York, NY,(All Rights reserved) from "An Episcopal Dictionary of the Church, A User Friendly Reference for Episcopalians," Don S. Armentrout and Robert Boak Slocum, editors.
Click here to order...


Share

Resources »

Lectionary

Events

ECCC Annual Conference
1/22/2012  - 1/27/2012    - Camp McDowell, AL

NAECED Annual Meeting and Tapestries Conference
2/2/2012  - 2/4/2012    - New Orleans, LA

Why Serve 2012
6/6/2012  - 6/10/2012    - Virginia Theological Seminary, Alexandria, VA

More Events

Back to Top