Central Florida diocese elects the Rev. Gregory Brewer as bishop[Diocese of Central Florida] The Rev. Gregory O. Brewer, 60, rector of the Parish of Calvary-St. George's in New York was elected on Nov. 19 as the fourth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Central Florida, pending the required consents from a majority of bishops with jurisdiction and standing committees of the Episcopal Church.
Brewer was elected on the fourth ballot out of a field of seven nominees. He received 141 votes of 241 cast in the lay order and 110 of 192 cast in the clergy order. An election on that ballot required 125 in the lay order and 95 in the clergy order.
The election was held during the diocese's special convention at Trinity Preparatory School in Winter Park. Pending a successful consent process, Brewer will succeed the Rt. Rev. John W. Howe, who is retiring.
Under the canons (III.11.4) of the Episcopal Church, a majority of bishops exercising jurisdiction and diocesan standing committees must consent to the bishop-elect's ordination as bishop within 120 days of receiving notice of the election.
Brewer was not in Winter Park for the Central Florida election because his diocese, the Episcopal Diocese of New York, also was electing its next bishop Nov. 19.
"I'm just very excited to return to Central Florida and will pray for God's blessings on our work together there," he said by phone after the election.
Brewer is married to the former Laura Lee Williams of Orlando; they have five children.
The consecration is due to take place March 24, 2012, at First Baptist Church of Orlando.
The other nominees were:
- the Very Rev. Anthony P. Clark, 50, dean, Cathedral Church of St. Luke, Orlando, Florida, Diocese of Central Florida;
- the Rev. R. Jonathan Davis, vicar, Episcopal Church of the Incarnation and director, Canterbury Retreat and Conference Center (Canterbury Retreat and Conference Center, Oviedo, Florida), Oviedo, Florida, Diocese of Central Florida;
- the Very Rev. Charles L. Holt, rector, St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Lake Mary, Florida, Diocese of Central Florida;
- the Rev. Timothy C. Nunez, rector, St. Mary's Episcopal Church, Belleview, Florida, Standing Committee member, Diocese of Central Florida;
- the Rev. Mary A. Rosendahl, rector, Episcopal Church of the Nativity, Port St. Lucie, Florida, Diocese of Central Florida; and
- the Rev. James A. Sorvillo Sr., rector, Episcopal Church of the Ascension, Orlando, Florida.
Information about all the nominees is available at here.
The Diocese of Central Florida has 31,000 baptized members at 88 parishes and missions in 15 counties.
Copyright © 2011 Episcopal News Service